Skip To Main Content


100-Year Tradition of Faith, Knowledge, Service

Since 1925, our school, campus, and community have grown and evolved along with the city we call home. Originally founded as the Nashville Catholic High School for Boys located on West End, we quickly outgrew our facilities and relocated to Elliston Place in 1929 with our new name, Father Ryan High School.

Over the years, our population changed as we became the first school in Tennessee to integrate in 1954 after Brown v. Board of Education ended school segregation. Later in 1970, our community evolved further when we became co-educational. Our campus expanded in 1991 as we outgrew our facilities on Elliston Place and relocated to our current campus on Norwood Drive. Today, we are focused on providing an accessible Catholic education for all who seek it and cultivating a strong community among our large student body to create a sense of belonging.

We are founded in strong ideals that continue to evolve to meet the needs of our community, to live out our mission, and to form lives of excellence in the Catholic tradition. 

Elliston Place Campus

Elliston Place Campus 1929-1991

Aerial shot of campus

Norwood Drive Campus 1991-Present

Father Ryan Timeline